Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Old news and delayed grief: Evangelical Baptist Missions dissolved

Since retirement, I have begun straightening up the house and sorting through papers.  It's a long, slow process.  As I find old papers that are still of interest, I am checking the topics out online.

Back in the 1980s, when I was in Wilkes-Barre PA, I was a founding member of Hope Baptist Church, the pastor of which was Doug Boisvert.  Eventually the church closed, and Doug and Cheryl went to the mission field.  I found one of their newsletters from March 2011 and decided to check out the web page that they listed.  They were supported through Evangelical Baptist Missions.  I was saddened and surprised to find that in September 2011, EBM closed due to financial difficulties, as I read in this article.  Jesus said that we are to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves."  Financial wisdom is necessary to keep a ministry going.  Apparently, in this case, it was not followed.

Fortunately, it appears that Doug and Cheryl are still on the mission field, and are now supported through a different agency.  I plan to do more research and try to establish contact again.  By the way, it appears that their web site is now:

http://www.tri-m-boisverts.org/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home