Monday, August 22, 2005

Kidney Stone

It has been a while since I posted. It's just hard to find the time. Today is going to be a banner day for posting, since I am home from work with a kidney stone.

I have never had a kidney stone before, and hoped that I never would. I guess I had some warning that it was coming from some minor abdominal pain. But I woke up this morning with discomfort that quickly developed into excruciating pain. I had no idea at first what the problem was, but suspected a colon blockage. So as not to bore or nauseate you with the details, I wound up in the emergency room, where they gave me a CAT scan and determined that there is a stone of size 4 mm by 7 mm in my right kidney. They said that it was borderline whether it would pass on its own. For that, I am still waiting and may be waiting for days.

I have heard it said that kidney stones are the closest thing that a man can experience to the pain of childbirth. If that is so, my had is off to all women who go through childbirth. This is the first time that I have ever been on pain medication. I do not like pain medication. I pray that this clears up soon. Your prayers would be appreciated too.

I also learned something else. I have been taking calcium tablets for bone health. Kidney stones are made of calcium. The calcium tablets have to go.

My sympathy is with you if you are going through anything similar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home